Monday, June 25, 2012

Creative Title

I don't know why, but lately Melissa's emails take hours to get to us!  I know she sent this one no later than 3:45, but it just barely got here and it's past 5:30!  Anyway, the good news is we got email from Sister Broekhuijsen, and she is wonderful.

Well hi!

This weekend was Stake Conference. I don't think I've ever been so excited for a Stake Conference in my entire life. In Utah, it wasn't all that different from normal church. And even in Cambridge, it was not a big change either. But here, because it's so much more spread out, we have to sacrifice more for Stake Conference and I think that makes it worth more. It was held in Ludlow, which is about an hour, hour and a half west of Oxford. We found rides to both the adult session Saturday night AND the normal session yesterday morning. It was great to see our Elders and we also had one of my favorite members, Amber, come out to the adult session with us. The theme of the whole conference was, "Seeking and Obtaining the Holy Ghost as a Constant Companion." What a cool topic, right? I love learning about how to more often have the Holy Ghost with us because I can always use more of that in my life.

We sat in the very front row on Saturday night, and as soon as the first verse of the opening hymn, "High on the Mountain Top" began, I just started crying. It was SO powerful to hear this whole (adult portion of the) Stake behind me! Even though I've only been here for 3 weeks and I don't know most of these people, I feel love for them immediately! I need that kind of love for ALL people.

Some of the things I learned:

* When we feel inadequate, or FEAR something that we are called to do, that is the opposite of faith. Rather than assuming the WORST will happen, I should HOPE that the BEST will happen. That's what faith is! Christ Himself taught, "Be not afraid, only believe."

* "If God brings you to it, He'll bring you THROUGH it."

*  When it seems like there's just too much on our plate, God can give us a bigger plate.

* Richard G. Scott in his latest conference talk teaches that scriptures are the key to communion. Communion means INTERCHANGE! I'd never thought of it so simply before. It makes Hymn 123 [Oh, May My Soul Commune with Thee] (already one of my favorites) something I want even MORE.

* Isn't it interesting that the only things God ever asks us to do are things that INCREASE our happiness?

So it was a nice conference. Like I said, we got rides both times, so that saved us a LOT of miles for the month. Thank goodness for generous members!

The thing I was most excited about for Stake Conference was that we found out President and Sister Evans were speaking at the adult session. We were so disappointed when they didn't. Then, right after the closing prayer, they walked in! It turns out they had told them the wrong time, so they arrived late. TOO BAD. They are just the BEST speakers. But I AM thankful that they came. It was the last time I will get to see them. (<-- the tenses in that sentence are struggling but I can't make it work) so it was a bummer. I was experiencing some really bad allergies that made my eyes water like crazy as I shook hands with President Evans for the last time (until I come home, that is). They are just the most amazing couple and it's sad because there are so many of us that they'd never be able to keep in contact with all of us. But they've left an impact on me and I'll be forever grateful that I got to meet them because I was called to this mission.

A couple weeks ago I had a really powerful experience that I haven't yet had time to share, so I'll do so now.

We had dinner with Bro. D* (I've told you about him before). He is such a funny man, I just love him. He told us about his conversion story (he joined the church just 7 years ago at the age of 57!) and then got really serious and was choking up as he told us that he thinks God put him on this earth to make people laugh. That's his purpose. It was just so cute I was tearing up and then the tears started slidin' on down my face! (Danged allergies!!). He saw me and got alarmed and yelled, "Don't you cry! Then I'll start crying!" haha. The Spirit doesn't often speak to me with actual, distinct words in full sentence form, but that night He did. I was told very plainly that Brother D* is one of the people I was meant to meet and learn from here. That HE is one of the reasons I was called to the Massachusetts Boston Mission. It was such a(n unexpected) spiritual experience that I just kept crying all through the rest of our evening (including our other lesson!)  How thankful I am to have received that witness.

One more funny story and then I'll leave you with my B.o.M. insights.

We tracted into a very old man (who actually looked a lot like the old man from "Up") who answered the door and when we explained that we are local missionaries who are introducing ourselves and want to know if we can help at all, he yelled to his wife, "Dear - dear! There are some girls here who want to HELP us!" haha. It was so cute. So she came and we introduced ourselves to HER and he said, "Hold on - I want to give you something." So he scuddled off and came back with these little wooden contraptions (that looked like a cross between tongs and chopsticks) with little flowers painted on them. He let us each pick our color and then they told us that they're for getting toast out of the toaster without burning your fingers.  So cute! "He makes them and I paint them" the wife told us. Ah man it was so funny and adorable and a nice little reminder that there are nice people in the world - even in Dudley, Massachusetts.

So this week I read Mormon. No matter how much I try to mentally prepare myself, I'm ALWAYS caught off guard by just how SAD that book is. And there were some equally depressing quotes by Jeffery R. Holland in my institute manual that just added to it. But I had a cool experience because of it. So for two days I waded through the super sad parts of Mormon and then Moroni telling the account of the destruction of basically the whole civilization. To paraphrase my own father, it's even sadder/worse because it was all an AVOIDABLE mistake! There were countless prophets who forewarned these people of the dangers of pride. But because they ignored them, they ended up just destroying each other. And then poor Moroni had to "remain alone to write the sad tale of the destruction of [his] people." UGH!! 
So by the end of the second day I knew there was going to be something positive that would bring me back from the depths of despair after reading this tragic account. I was expecting a fervent testimony of Christ, which WAS indeed there (it's called Another Testament of Jesus Christ, after all) but what surprised me was that the thing that uplifted me the MOST was Moroni's hope in THE RESTORATION. Prophets throughout the BoM and even the Bible had been prophesying for a long time that the Great Apostasy would come. Moroni basically just accepts that his civilization is destroyed with little hope of ever repenting. So what brings HIM hope and comfort is the knowledge that God would reach out in love, again, and put His true church on the Earth. To spread knowledge necessary for salvation and hope for happiness in this life to all who would but LISTEN and ACCEPT. 
Moroni knew of the importance of the Book of Mormon, and knew that it would be instrumental in the gathering of Israel always associated with the Restoration and the last days. Mormon 9:30 was my FAVORITE. Moroni speaks to US and testifies, "I know that ye shall have my words" (meaning the Book of Mormon). Isn't that great? Moroni had to have faith that Joseph Smith would live up to his foreordination and be worthy to be the prophet to usher in the dispensation of the fullness of times. I am moved by Moroni's complete faith that the Restoration would indeed take place and that the Book of Mormon would be brought out of obscurity into light. How thankful I am that I live in this time when I have access to the words of these prophets. The Book of Mormon is the thing that has most changed me on this mission, and for that I'm forever thankful.

Love you, family!  Thanks for your support.

If anyone reading this on the blog wants to know how they can help me this week, the best way would be to write me a letter and explain how to enjoy the moment. I'm always either stressing about the future or dwelling on the past and I just want to be able to enjoy the present, and live life to its fullest and dance like there's no tomorrow and sing like nobody's listening and chase my dreams to the shooting stars. (<-- sorry, got a little carried away there.)

-Sister "humidity is not my hair's best friend" Broekhuijsen

No comments:

Post a Comment