Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Whew! In the Nick of Time!

I was basically giving up on getting an email from Melissa today and thinking that we might have to wait at least another day, when a "cute little miracle" happened and an email CAME!  Yay!  (Also, yes, I totally stole that quote from Melissa, of course.)


Wow. I think I'm beginning to see a pattern here known as: time is going by really, really quickly! 
I can't believe it's e-mail time again, and I even had to wait an extra day because of Labor Day! haha. 
This past week was good, though it's kinda blurring together.  
I have good news on the D* front! She has agreed to prepare herself for baptism on October 14th. She still has a lot to learn but we are happy that she is willing to take this step. She is so willing to learn more and just honestly wants to do exactly what she should. She really wants to please God and is fantastic at recognizing His hand in her life. 
Wednesday (which, as you now ALL know, was Michael Jackson's would-be 54th birthday) was a HIT! It was such a fun day. Sister Jordan and I dressed up in black and white (with red accents. Oh yeah.) and we made chocolate cupcakes with white frosting. I bought sparkly silver sprinkles (I think you know what for) and black decorating icing (which was extremely hard to work with so don't judge my designs on the cupcakes). Sister Jordan bought black and white zebra muffin liners. It was AWESOME.


We made up little hand-outs to give to the missionaries in our district that said,
As a wise man once suggested,   
"If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and then make that change." 
-Brother Michael Jackson
Today, more than ever, let's focus on helping others to bring about this "mighty change" in their hearts (Alma 5:14).
Love,
Sister Broekhuijsen & Sister Jordan 
Isn't that adorable? We are seriously SO cool. So we went around delivering those, then we got to have an HOUR long conversation with our mailman. He is so nice - he has an amazing memory and can always recall what mail we received or tell us who we sent mail to last Thursday... it's kinda creepy but also really impressive. So we left a note on our mailbox that said, "Mr. Mailman - please knock! We have a gift for you!" He did as commanded and we gave him a cupcake and then talked to him for an HOUR. He told us about his religious history, and said that he's sometimes given rides to the elders cause he lives right by the church! Cool. So that was great. Then we headed up to Cambridge to go to CEOC. That was a delight because I got to carry a rubbermaid full of black and white cupcakes over an hour and a half on a bus and two trains! They did their trick - it was a GREAT conversation starter! One guy stared at me and asked in this big, tough-guy voice, "hey - can I have a cupcake?" I grinned and (probably too enthusiastically) yelled, "SURE!", whipped the container open, and offered it to him. He was a bit taken aback and  declined the cupcake (WHat?? Don't ask if you don't really WANT it, buddy!) but I gave him a passalong card so hopefully it was a positive experience overall.  
We've been having a lot of bogus media referrals lately. It's a bummer because they are close enough to being real (as in, the city DOES exist, and the phone number matches the city, and the street exists IN the city) but they are not. For example, we walked up Forest Street in Roxbury. The house number that we were referred to was #20. We walked up this monstrously steep hill and found that it jumped from 16 to 22. NOT CUTE, PEOPLE! So that's happened 3 times now (just since coming back to Boston in July) and then we had another fun experience where the referral was for apartment number 77 in this building in the middle of Chinatown. We got there and *surprise!* the elevator was broken. Do you want to know what floor #77 is on? It's on the 7th floor. Do you want to know how many stairs there are between ground level and the 7th floor? Well, that makes two of us. I wish I had a number because I would feel impressive. But if sufficeth me to say that there were a great many stairs and I was exceedingly sore afterward. The BEST part of that story is that we got up there to #77 and no one answered the door. So we started writing a note to leave when two OTHER huffy-puffy people made it up the trecherous journey and started walking to the door. "Are you G*?" I asked. "Uh... no." "Well do you know the G* that lives here in 77?" "Lady, NObody lives here - we're the cleaning crew that just got hired to get this ready for a resell!" BOOo. So that was a bummer but still we were positive and didn't even complain. I'm clearly over it and not even bitter. In fact, I don't even talk about it any more. It's just OUT of my mind.  
We had a lesson with a man named D* (NOT the same D* that stood us up a couple weeks ago) that I met on a bus. He came up to me after riding next to me the whole way and asked, "What is your purpose?" Pah! How often does THAT happen? So we talked for a while (actually the whole train ride up to Boston) and he gave me his number! So we met in Boston common with JP, my Ward Mission Leader from LP2! [Editor's note:  LP2 was Melissa's first area.] He is a screenwriter, and D* mentioned that one way he expresses his testimony is by writing screenplays so I thought it would be a good fit and *pat pat pat* it was. Good job, Sister Broeky! So that was nice! 
I got a package from Kelsey and Lizzy for my one year mark! It was SO adorable of them! It was cat themed, and contained cat pictures from a coloring book, a cat puzzle, kit-kats, letters, and fantastic puns like such as, "It's a meow-acle! You've reached your 1-year mark!" hahahahaha. It was a total surprise and arrived EXACTLY on time. So they get a shout out :) 
Pday yesterday was great! We found a new grocery store (well, more like produce stand) that has AMAZING prices. Seriously, my apples were less than HALF what I was paying at Stop n' Shop. Also we went to Rainbow. I KNOW I don't need any more clothes, but the clearance rack just GOT me! I bought a red blazer (for 7 DOLLARS!) that, with a little embellishing could TOTALLY look like a Thriller jacket. So... I think I know what I'm going to be for Halloween this year :)  
Well, that's about all I can think of for now! I hope you had a lovely Labor Day. Sad that Andrew's e-mail is so lamely short this week but I'll try to be okay with that. 
Love,
Sister "for once in my life I'm excited for Halloween" Broekhuijsen

No comments:

Post a Comment