Monday, January 9, 2012

Sister Broekhuijsen Being Melissa

Melissa sent me a quick email this morning to say, "It's a good thing you got a good email from Andrew today, because mine is going to be lame!"  But she was wrong!  It was wonderful and she sounds so "Melissa-y" that it totally made my day!
Hello down there!!! (echo echo echo)
Well. I just don't even know where to start. I feel like I always say, "I don't have much to update you on" but really, I don't know. I'm doing terribly at my journal writing because I'm always exhausted and go to bed early rather than write. BUT I CAN tell you that I have never enjoyed myself so much, nor seen so much success as I have in the past few weeks. I feel so blessed to have the companion that I do, to be in these wonderful wards with members I love so much, and to be serving the Lord 24/7. It is amazing. Guess what? Prayers really do work because I prayed multiple times a day for months (and asked you to do the same, as you know) for the desire to be here and oh boy do I have it. I just LOVE being on a mission! I love working hard. I love being on a schedule. I love going to bed at 10:30 (remember how I am secretly 100 years old??). I love living in beautiful Boston. I am so lucky to be here! I have so much to be grateful for. I can't believe I'm almost at my 6 month mark. Cause guess what? That means baby brother is almost at his halfway point! That is just crazy to me.
My brain kind of feels like mush right now. But it's not a bad mush like split pea soup or anything. It's a good, tired mush. Kind of like oatmeal, or maybe crap in a crockpot. [Editor's note:  that is our family name for some DELICIOUS whole grain cereal that I make for breakfast sometimes!]  Or maybe overdone pasta. Yesterday was cuh-RAY-zee because we had 5 investigators at church. Yup. Five. Isn't that great? It was a little hectic to manage them all, but it was fun. So we had P* come (miracle, because she is SUPER busy with her research) and she brought a classmate's daughter, Al*. Both from China, both adorable. Then we had An* and her fiancĂ©, P*.  Then L* came. Yes, L*. I don't think I've told you about him before but he volunteers at the same food pantry that we do. He's from Honduras and lets me practice my Spanish with him. He looks like Bob Marley and likes to call me a lot when he's high, but he's super super sweet and came to church! yay!! It was just a great day. Also, the members are great as ever and we have dinner appointments EVERY SINGLE NIGHT THIS WEEK! It is so cool. We have been blessed with referrals like crazy. More this week than I had my whole first 3 months combined. I'm telling you, the blessings are rolling in! It is amazing.  
Because of the mush of my brain status (<--- proof of the mush). I don't feel like I can actually write any more paragraphs. So you get a list of random things I can remember over the past little while. 
-On Saturday I wasted a good 10 minutes of proselyting time coaxing a big fattie of a squirrel into eating out of my hand. And he did and he also bit me. It was so cute! (not sarcastic, I really was thrilled!) 
-The weather is amazing. It got up to 59 degrees on Saturday and we STILL HAVEN'T HAD SNOW STICK. If that's not a miracle, I don't know what is. 
-P*, in her opening prayer of the lesson on Friday, spent probably 45 seconds wishing Heavenly Father a happy new year. It was adorable! 
-I got a package from Sarah this week with stuff from my TARGET people!!! It was so cool! Everyone signed a card, and Jake and Sarah wrote letters, and she sent me eyeshadow and stuff. Very nice and so cool to hear from people at Target and remember inside jokes. Next time you get your drugs, please tell them it meant SO much to me. 
-Our dinner appointment last night was with a couple members up in Medford and they have a CAT!!! His name is Max and he a big and nice and so cool and cute. His purr is even louder than Presto's. I know----hard to believe. But I am telling the truth. You'd better believe I made Sister Edwards take 30,000 pictures of me holding him and squeeze loving him. 
-I bore my testimony in church yesterday. It was my first time since September (aside from all the times I do it every single day haha) and it was nice. 
-My hair is growing very quickly and is currently very beautiful and luxurious. 
-My lipgloss exploded inside of my purse yesterday so now everything in there is minty and sticky. Cute. 
-Lately I've been playing this game with the elders, called, "Name any drug and I will tell you the generic name." It is a riot and I win every time! 
-There are a lot of pigeons around in my life, and they are street pigeons, not rich pigeons, so many of them have nubs for feet and it is really hard for me to deal with. Total gimp status and my emotions are already high. It's a good thing I'm not in a third world country. 
-I bought some official Boston gear last week. It is what's known as a grey hooded, zippered jacket with red embroidery of the word "Boston" on it. It's appropriate because that's the name of the city where I LIVE because I am a lucky duck! 
-The APs live really close to us and brought us over a bunch of candy last week as a late Christmas present (also known as... regift time) but hey it was so cute because for ME they gave me DINOSAUR WINDUP TOYS!!! I have managed to refrain so far from wearing my dino pants in public so I don't know how they knew that it would fill my heart with such joy, but oh BOY did I love them (the dinos, not the APs. That's not allowed). 
-We bought a nonstick frying pan last week and my life has improved greatly since then because my food doesn't stick to my pan (It's such a coincidence that the pans are named that way!) 
-I found my Michael Jackson necklace that I thought I lost 8 months ago. It was in the secret pocket of my makeup bag. And yes, I AM currently wearing it underneath my clothes :) 
-I am growing up and becoming a real woman because I now wear - get this - EYELINER. Big accomplishment for me. 
-Sister Edwards and I are both hypochondriacs and it makes for some HILARIOUS conversations. We're always convinced that we have some serious disease, but we don't so it's funny. 
-I am going to have a lame pday today. JOKE! Opposite day!! I am going to the AQUARIUM and therefore will have the time of my life because I will find and pet and hug some manta rays (even if it is not at a petting section, I will make it happen)!!!!!!! I am very thrilled about this and will be sure to take a bajillion pictures.

Well, sorry this isn't spiritual but I promise I'm also having spiritual experiences. :) I love you so much and I feel so lucky to have you back home supporting me. Thanks for your e-mails! I'll write better next week (hopefully.) 
Ciao
Sister Rio en la Casa

No comments:

Post a Comment