Monday, May 7, 2012

Blurry but Good

I tried to do a post earlier this morning with some photos & sound clips from Melissa's camera SD card.  Unfortunately I am technologically challenged, so I couldn't do it.  I will get help from Joshua later and see if we can figure it out.  Meanwhile, here's a great email from Sister Broekhuijsen!

Well hello there! 
I think Sister Edwards said it best when answering the question, "How was your week?" at church yesterday. Said she, "I don't really know. All the days are blending together and I don't remember what happened when, but I think it was good." ha! That is how I feel. I can't tell you very many specific things that happened, but I have positive feelings as I look back on the slur. :) 
We did have a good week in terms of contacting! There was an hour on Wednesday that we just devoted to street contacting. We thought it was going to be so hard and I was really building it up in my head. We just decided to GO for it and awkwardly talk to everyone. Yes, I know that's what we are supposed to do every second of every day but it's flipping hard. Anyway, although we got a lot of "I don't speak English" even though you know they do, and a lot of, "I'm all set"s, it was a really fulfilling time! I loved it, actually. It was hard but I felt really good about it. And we got two numbers and addresses that we passed along to the appropriate Elders. It feels good, and I was thankful for the prayers of people back home that helped me have the strength to do it! 
Another good bit of contacting and actually a miracle happened yesterday. We had a long train ride out to Newton for our dinner appointment. It was packed because D line goes through downtown and stops at Fenway and there was a game yesterday afternoon. So there were a lot of angry redsox fans (because apparently they suck this year. Wow people - get the memo - ALL sports suck!) but there was ALSO a really nice Chinese woman who sat next to me. I decided to be brave and talk to her. Turns out she's here doing a post-doc at Harvard Medical School in Neuro-pharmacology. AWESOME! We got talking and as soon as I said I was a missionary and pointed to my nametag, she asked, "Do you have a card? Do you have a card I could have? Could you teach me about your church?" IT was great! So I gave her a mormon.org card, and asked for her name and info. She grabbed my planner and pen out of my hands and wrote her name, e-mail address, and phone number. And then she had to get off but she waved and grinned at me from the platform until the train left. It was so cute!!! Then an old woman coming from the RedSox game sat where X* had been sitting, and we had a 25 minute discussion about the church and I was able to give her a FamilySearch passalong card! It was great! I love when we can see directly that the Lord is blessing us for our efforts to put ourselves out there and talk to people even though it's freakin' terrifying. 
A couple things from the BoM this week - I love Mormon's description of Captain Moroni as listed in Alma 48:11-13. Also I decided that if verse 17 is true, then the traits listed in those verses (like "strong," "mighty," "heart did swell with thanksgiving," "labor exceedingly," "firm in the faith,") are things I should strive to develop in mySELF! It's clear (especially in verse 17) that Mormon really thinks highly of him, and I realized something that probably every other Mormon in the world has already realized. I think that Mormon named his son Moroni after Captain Moroni! What a cute tribute! I don't know why it took me so long to realize that. 
Here's something funny. There is an indoor skating rink on the 86 route which is the bus we take to get from our place to Harvard. So we take it a lot. Anyway, this is the sign on the front of the building:
Boston Skating Club
Come have fun and
"Learn to Skate!" 
ha hahaha. Isn't that so stupid? It's almost like an insult. Yeah, you can try to skate - haha. Come "learn" from us. Oh boy. It gets me every time.  
And another weird phrasing thing I've been wondering about. I bought Tresseme Climate Control Shampoo and Conditioner when I first moved out here. It says on the front that the specialized formula "helps fight humidity, UV Rays, static, and wind." HA! What does that even mean? I mean, I guess I get how it could include elements that would potentially decrease the effects of UV rays and static electricity, but I would really like to know how a shampoo can fight the effects of WIND. That makes me chuckle every morning, and I always forget to share it with you. 
Well, that's my week! I'm looking forward to Skyping on Sunday.  Please fashion some Michael Jackson costumes for the cats and present to me a runway show during our video chat. That would really make my day, and I'm sure our cats would cooperate. 
Love you,
Sister "Yay for a sunny morning - I haven't seen that guy in over a WEEK!" Broekhuijsen

No comments:

Post a Comment