Monday, May 21, 2012

The Only Time I Have Broken the Word of Wisdom Has Been on My Mission


Well, with a title like THAT I'm sure you're all intrigued 
Let me tell you a story.... 'bout a woman and her rooooooh - ooh - ooh - ooh - mmates. (please tell me you catch the reference)  [Editor's note:  Yes, "Christie Lee" Broekhuijsen - we DO get the reference!]
In Massachusetts, the weather can become what's known as hot and humid. Words which here mean, miserable. Luckily, it has not been like that YET this year, but just to be safe we like to sleep with the windows and the balcony door open at night while we CAN to enjoy the sweet, cool air of darkness that settles in and helps us rest. Friday night began like many others. We prayed and hopped into bed and fell asleep relatively quickly. Around 2:30, I woke up and... *sniff* *sniff* "what's that?" I thought. "That is some STRONG stuff!" By "stuff," I of course meant weed (a smell I have become very familiar with while living here in Massachusetts). 
So I closed the door and went to the bathroom, hoping that when I came back the smell would be gone. But alas, my hope was in vain for verily when I returned to my bed (which is the closest to the door, bee tee dubs) it still smelled VERY strongly of very expensive dope (for all you Utah county readers, the cheap stuff smells almost identical to cigarette smoke, but the good stuff smells like smokey, sweet skunk spray. I know, I know. You can thank me later). It was the most powerfully I have ever smelled it (and that is saying something because I live in BRIGHTON MASSACHUSETTS). 
>>>Fast forward to 6:30 a.m.
All four of us wake up very groggy, and recounted wildly colorful and otherwise atypical dreams. Sister Edwards and I were the only ones who woke up to it and identified it as pot, but we were all affected. I do not know how long second hand weed can stay in your system, but I would like to blame my strange behavior Saturday on the fact that I became (inadvertently) baked overnight. As I was putting mousse in my hair, and Sister Edwards was blowdrying my hair, I became very fascinated with the sunbeams that were streaming in our window. "Whoa! Look at those SUNBEAMS Sister Edwards! They're SO bright and SO vivid." (<--- not a direct quote but unfortunately very close). Also we could not focus during our studies and were abnormally responsive to visual stimuli all day. I still feel off, but then again, I doubt I can blame ALL weirdness on the incident (I am, of course, still Melissa, after all).  
We had lunch with some members and recounted the story and told them about how we would really like to alert the police to this problem (it's not the first time we've smelled weed in our apartment complex) but the members told us that it's actually not illegal here in Boston. What??? I couldn't believe it. They googled it in front of our very eyes and - it's just a civil fine of $100. So we can't even make them stop. Too bad. Also, even if we move apartments, anywhere we live around here is going to have that problem because, once again, IT'S NOT ILLEGAL TO SMOKE POT IN MASSACHUSETTS and we smell it all the time while we are out and about in the city. 
Lesson learned: close the doors and windows and invest in some good fans.
___________________________ 
Now on to the rest of my e-mail. 
Thank you so much for the package!! It did not weigh very much so you probably didn't save money sending it in a flat rate box (sorry) but it DID arrive quickly and I've worn lots of new outfits and played with my new camera a lot. Also, I'm going to write approximately 800 letters this afternoon on my new DINOSAUR STATIONARY!! You're the best! It's so nice of you to put that together for me. On the same day THAT package arrived, I also got a package from "Jammin' Butter" company. I was very curious as I didn't think I had ordered anything but WOWZER! Mom, you know me too well. [Editor's other note:  Actually it was DAD who found the prized shirt! (But I did place the order so I get partial credit!)]  It was a shirt that says, "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands!" and has a picture of a T-Rex with a grumpy face frantically and futilely waving his baby dinosaur arms around trying to clap his hands together. HAHAHAHA so sad and hilarious. It was a great postal day!!
Fact: This week a member made us vegetable pizza that was delish. It's cold and the sauce is ranchy cream cheese and then there's just all kinds of yummy vegetables on it and a little bit of cheese. How about you make that sometime because it's delish and I think we Broekhuijsens should adopt it into our lifestyle. 
Confession: This week I was trying to be funny and hip and I needed to look something up on our dinner calendar so I turned to Sister Edwards and asked, "Hey will you pass me the din-din cal?" BARF! It was intentionally grrry*, but I still almost died of shame when the words left my lips. [*If you don't know what that word means, contact me and I'll try to explain - it's a little hard to define - but maybe think "extremely corny/cutesy" to get the basic idea.]
Request: Can you please look up on my baby laptop a paper that I wrote for my freshman English class (HONORS150) in Fall Semester of '08 about why purchasing an Apple computer is a better investment than initially cheaper alternatives? There are (tragically) several of my favorite elders going home next week who were asking about what kind of computer they should get and you best believe I represented Mr. Jobs honorably. We held a council at lunch and I probably spent 30 heated minutes trying to convince them that they simply must buy macbooks. I was told I should work at the Apple Store, a compliment I let go straight to my head. ANYWAY I want to seal the deal by giving them a copy of that persuasive paper. 
Good News: I came to a point this week (pre-intoxication, so I can't just attribute it to the euphoria) that was STELLAR. I had a lovely realization called, "It doesn't matter." For example, it doesn't matter that I don't have any investigators as long as I'm always TRYING. Also, it doesn't matter whether I can neatly count up all the people I have found, taught, and baptized as long as I'm doing everything I can to be an effective instrument in the Lord's hands.  Most importantly, it doesn't matter whether I can see if I'm even doing any good as long as I have that witness from Heavenly Father through the Spirit that He is pleased with my efforts (think D&C 6:23). Isn't that great?? It was a wonderful feeling. 
Bad News: While I really did feel that, I don't always REMEMBER it. Also, my emotions are rather roller-coaster like so after feeling this (non-drug related) high, I was unfortunately really discouraged afterward because Satan doesn't like it when I feel good about my efforts. SO, I have another 
Solicitation: please give me some advice that you have learned (from life experience, personal revelation, and/or scriptures and modern day revelation) about how to distinguish between God encouraging me to improve and Satan telling me I'm not good enough. Sometimes I mix them up and it can get overwhelming. 
Observation: Clayton Christiansen is one of the most humble humans on this planet. He spoke in LP2 Sacrament Meeting yesterday and it was phenomenal. Also, he looks like a cross between E.T. and Leonard Nimoy - SERIOUSLY. Google him and you will believe me. It is so cute. Also he is like 7 feet tall. 
I shall now present some lovely truths I've learned from the Book of Mormon this week: 
* Helaman 1:18 - because of all the contention and government drama going on, they didn't keep "sufficient guards" round about. How dumb! This taught me that distractions (no matter how important they may seem) from the MOST important things cause weakness. 
* I love Helaman 3:35 - there is just nothing that I want more than to learn how to completely yield my heart unto God. Doesn't that sound just lovely?
* then in verse 37, I realized (again) how lucky I am to have the father that I do. Just like Nephi, I would be doing well to "walk in [his] ways." Not everyone can say that but I CAN! 
* Helaman 4:11 - that phrase "professed to belong to the church of God" frightens me. I learned that regardless of how many things I have done (been baptized and confirmed, gone through the temple, gone on a mission, etc.) if I am not keeping my covenants and actively avoiding pride, I am not really part of the Church! 
* In Helaman 6:4-5 we see that recent converts are out there preaching to less active members! HA! I have literally seen this happen with my lovely L*. 
* And finally, just this morning I read in Helaman 7:29 and LOVED the lesson I learned. I love that after this passionate chastisement and call to repentance - when he is really feeling a lot of anguish in his soul, Nephi straight up TESTIFIES! He very powerfully makes it clear that this isn't just him making things up or reasoning things up and sharing them with the people but that he has received a WITNESS from God that these things are true! "therefore" he testifies. That word is really interesting to me - when we use that word it's usually after we've laid out some data and we are drawing conclusions and pulling in application. So after all this he says that because he has learned these things, the natural consequence (the "therefore") is that he turns it around and testifies to other people!! Mind. Blown. I have learned a lot of things from God, so I'm really hoping to let my natural "therefore" be that I share them with others. 
Well, family, I hope you know how much I love you! I won't have time for any personal e-mails this week but Par, I'm glad you were able to feel the satisfaction of preparing that presentation (even if it doesn't directly lead to a shift in your career focuses). Mar, I hope you're feeling 100% better now! Thanks for the letter this week and for sharing your spiritual insights - I look forward to reading your talk from yesterday. Andy - keep it up in Russiar. I sent you a letter this week, be looking for it in about October. Joshy - I like the way you weasel your way into Lagoon, and I like your new glasses! Gary - Summer will be good too. At least you have facebook to keep in touch with everyone! Don't be too bummed about school being out. Everyone: I'm glad you like The Avengers. 
Love,
Sister "Double Rainbow" Broekhuijsen 
P.S. Sister Edwards and I had our first fight last night. It all started when we saw something in the road and it looked like a half-run-over cat flailing around. I was screaming and crying and she was making fun of me. She later told me it was probably just a box but I don't know whether I should believe her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment