Friday, September 2, 2011

First Contact!

I tried very hard not to get my hopes up about hearing from Melissa today, so I was very pleasantly surprised to find a red envelope in the mailbox from Sister Broekhuijsen! Hooray! I won't include the entire letter (you probably don't care what things she still needs us to send her!) but here are some excerpts from her first letter home.

Well, Day 1 is now over and I'm barely worse for the wear! The more I think about it, the more I'm just so grateful that they do curbside drop off. Like Mom predicted, they've kept me so busy I haven't had any time to be sad. The first day here was so overwhelming, but so full of tender mercies (yup…tender mercies. I'm THAT girl now) that I can't help but be grateful.

First of all, I am in a trio companionship with 2 other sisters. We lovingly call it a "tripanionship." Andrew would be so proud. :-) Sister Roy is 25, from Maine, and is serving in Temple Square. Sister Fofete is from Salt Lake City and is serving in Houston. Our district consists of the 3 of us ladies and 8 Elders who are all serving in either Houston or Boston We're still warming up to each other but I think things will work out just great.

My companions are so awesome - definitely an answer to prayers because we get along really well. I have a lot more to tell you and not nearly enough time so I will just try to write an awesome email. My P-days are Tuesdays (like brother like sister!)<-- not a phrase -- so you will next hear from me then.

Know that I love you, that I'm doing well, and that I could still use about a trillion prayers.


Next in the letter comes the "bossy, complainful list of things I need." Then she says:

Thank you for your prayers. In my blessing when I was set apart I was promised that I would able to feel your prayers, and I really have!

Love you,
Sister Broekhuijsen

No comments:

Post a Comment