Monday, October 3, 2011

Week in Review

Last week Melissa mentioned in her email home that she was feeling homesick - so we were especially anxious to hear from her today and had been hoping and praying that she was making the adjustment to missionary life.  It sounds like she is!  Thanks to all of you who write to her and keep her in your thoughts and prayers as well.


I am doing SO much better than last week. Thank you all for your prayers and fasting. Cool story, actually: So Monday was really bad when I was e-mailing you, but then I felt lifted almost immediately afterward, and later that night I was really blessed with a great lesson with a member. I LOVED her the instant I met her, and we got too excited about science together. It was a great experience and I know it was because of your prayers. Then, Tuesday, I KNEW that you were fasting for me! I just knew. The Spirit is cool like that. So I KNEW that you were fasting, then Friday I got your letters, and when I read what Mom said about fasting, I said, "I told ya so, Sis. Broekhuijsen!" So that was an amazing thing to have happen too. This week has been really great! We've been a bit more busy, and I'm getting better at talking to people. I'm really good at saying my "Good Morning!"s but when it's not morning time I have a harder time because whenever I say, "Good Afternoon!" I accidentally say it in a fake British accent and it gets really awkward. So I usually stick to a simple "Hello." Also, one day last week I talked to FOUR people on a bus. I didn't get to talking about Jesus, but I made some nice, awkward small talk. It sounds like I'm being sarcastic but I really am seeing it as a blessing -- my tongue is being loosed, just like I'm praying for every day!
So yes, I still have some hard days. It's not fun to wake up and exercise. Who likes that? No one.  But I'm doing it! I have some really enjoyable experiences and last night in my prayers, I said that I was thankful to be here. That was a first and a HUGE step for me. So your prayers are working! Thanks so much!
Wasn't General Conference simply marvelous? We had our only investigator (because everyone else got baptized in the past two months!) there for 3 of the 4 sessions. Her name is A* and she is incredible. She doesn't really have any religious background, but she just noticed that the people that were Mormon were happier than others, and she wanted that. So she walked into church one day about a month ago, and we've been teaching her ever since! She is really eager to learn, and read the BoM in like 2 weeks. That's on top of spending 16 hours a day at school/work. Every night when she got home she would read for an HOUR before going to bed. And she retains it all! She always has really good questions, and is one of the smartest people I've ever met. Anyway, we met with her on Wednesday and she told us that she LIKES coming to Church and reading, but she's just not FEELING anything. At this point she was in 3 Nephi and Sis. Meier and I were baffled. It's impossible for her to be that far, to be earnestly praying to know of its truthfulness, and to not feel anything. So we realized that she HAS felt the Spirit, she just doesn't KNOW it! So every single prayer since then, we have been praying for her to be able to feel. We needed to know what WE should say, and what things to study to tell her and convince her that it doesn't have to be some big, miraculous experience. It has been so cool to be focusing everything in my studies on the Holy Ghost - I've really learned a LOT. Anyway, we prayed and studied SO hard, then Sunday morning, right before General Conference, we had a lesson with her about recognizing the Holy Ghost, and then watched with her some more. It was PERFECT. Even in the opening prayer for the morning session on Sunday, the person asked for the "missionaries to be able to find those who are ready, and for those who are ready to feel the Spirit." Um... THANKS, man!
So yeah, we watched Saturday Morning at T*'s house. T* is a member who lives in Boston proper, right by Fenway Park. Basically I'm convinced that I am walking the same ground as Jimmy Fallon (Fever Pitch, in case you were wondering). She is SO cute and made us all lunch and let us come and watch. Then we went over to the Harvard chapel and watched the afternoon session there. Then Sunday morning we had the lesson with A* that I told you about (also at T*'s house) and then we stayed at T*'s for the last session. It was SO nice. In between sessions we played Cranium. I don't know if that's 100% missionary kosher, but it was fun and I dominated because I rule at that game. Plus I was playing with members, less actives, AND an investigator, so that's okay, right? Oh no, now I'm justifying. Boo.
Anyway, conference was wonderful. I nearly SCREAMED when they announced the Provo Tabernacle Temple. Can you believe it???? I had to explain to everyone there the story of what happened. So, so cool. It makes my heart jiggle with enthusiasm.
And yes, they mentioned Boston twice! It was so funny when they said, "From Boston to Bangkok" because our Elders were there (Winegar and Vanderhoek (what a good, Dutch name)) and when he said that, Vanderhoek said, "Guaranteed, my mom is crying right now." hahahah. It was hilarious. Then on Sunday they said something about a Boston Children's hospital and we all cheered. Yay for references! There were also a LOT of stories about Russia! So basically the WHOLE point of General Conference this time was to be related to Andrew and me. We are way special.
I have too many favorite moments about conference to write here, so I'll have to write it all up in a letter to you.
Boston fun fact of the day: There are no grocery stores close to me. Seriously, none. Also, there are no WalMarts or Targets close either, so we do all our shopping at CVS. I have been told that CVS is the Wal Mart of Massachusetts. Well let me tell you, they are NOT "rollin' back prices everyday." Everything is mega expensive out here. I usually like to gauge things in terms of Ben and Jerry's cartons of ice cream. At Kohlers they're usually around $3.99. At Target they're $3.49, and at Winco (Oh how I miss Winco) they're $3.25. WHELLLLLL. They are like $7.49 here. If THAT doesn't prove my point, I don't know WHAT will :)
Anyway once again I am somehow running out of time. But thank you SO much, and be comforted in knowing that your prayers are working. I am starting to enjoy myself more, and more importantly, I'm not as hindered by my homesickness, so i can go out and just be a better missionary. I am trying to be EXACTLY obedient, so even though it would be WAY easy to spend more than an hour e-mailing, I'm not going to. I know that I am being taken care of, and I'm thrilled every time I hear of a way that you are, too.
Love, love, LOVE,
 Sis. Broekhuijsen
 P.S. A lot of Haitian/Creole old ladies come into the CEOC food pantry where we do service. They are all really really rude, so that's fun. But I DID learn my first word in Creole! "Mum-buh"-- it means Peanut Butter. You're welcome.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment